Virgin Atlantic Runs and iBeacon Trial at London’s Heathrow Airport
- Upper Class Wing at London’s Heathrow Airport in May 2014.
- Alert customers to have their electronic boarding passes ready when they were close to a private security check.
- Send tailored offers like commission-free currency exchange deals to passengers in the departures section of the airport.
- Let passengers know about in-flight entertainment specials before they boarded the plane.
- Let their staff know when temperatures dropped on outdoor decks of their airport lounges so they could give blankets to passengers.
iBeacons Transform Attendee Experiences at SXSW 2014
- Attendees enjoyed significantly improved registration experiences by getting an alert containing their Registration QuickCode when they were in the vicinity of the SXSW registration booths.
- They also placed 50+ beacons at various event venues in and around the Austin Convention Center allowing SXSW to welcome attendees to sessions, encourage them to join discussions about a session within the SXSW app, see which other attendees were at that session and view tweets related to that session.
Apple Launches iBeacons in all 250+ U.S. Stores
- Apple, creator of iBeacons, implemented them in all its U.S. stores in December 2013, just in time for the holiday shopping frenzy.
- Shoppers got notifications when their order had been assembled in the in-store stock room.
Hillshire Brands Uses Beacon Tech to Sell More Craft Sausages
- Hillshire Brands implemented iBeacons in 10 U.S. cities to help them track a shopper’s journey through the aisles of a grocery store to then send discount coupons or ads for their craft sausages when the shopper approached that section of the store.
- Hillshire says shoppers were “20 times more likely to buy” its American Craft sausages when they received such tailored communications.
Macy’s Kicks Off its Data Warehousing Plans by Implementing Beacons in 800+ Stores
Just in time for this holiday season Macy’s deployed beacons in nearly 800 stores throughout the country in partnership with Shopkick, a location-based coupon dispenser app used by top national retailers including Best Buy, Sports Authority, J.C.Penney and Target, to finally capitalize on an offline, data-driven retail experience.
- Macy’s is using beacon tech to track customer movements within their store, push product recommendations and discounts, and to inform shoppers about relevant sale items.
Starwood Hotels Use Beacons to Replace Hotel Room Keys in Pilot Program
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts is running an iBeacon trial in 30 of its hotels and resorts that helps concierges greet guests who arrive by name, accelerates the check-in process for frequent guests, and lets housekeeping know when guests are still in the room.
- In addition, Starwood guests at two of their U.S. hotels will be able to walk into a hotel, skip the check-in process, go straight to their room and open the room door via keyless entry activated on their smartphones.
Major League Baseball (MLB) Uses Beacons to Sell Merchandise and Seat Upgrades
- Major League Baseball has rolled out iBeacons in 28 of its 30 ballparks across the U.S.
- Fan check-ins more than doubled this season after they began pushing merchandise coupons and seat upgrades via their app, using bluetooth.
- iPhone owners who download the MLB app can check-in at games to receive special offers and content. iBeacons are located at all of the fan entry and exit points of the ballparks. The number of beacons varies by stadium, depending on the number of entry and exit points.
- The app also offers venue maps, concession stand info and video clips of game replays.
Japan Airlines Uses Beacons in Tokyo Airport to Improve Business Processes
- At Tokyo’s Haneda Airport, Japan Airline’s staff was equipped with smartphones allowing the company to locate staff members and assign specific tasks to them.
- Their ground staff could also get updates on company information and flight status updates helping the airline use beacon technology to actually improve business processes.
American Airlines Launches iBeacons in Dallas Airport
- American Airlines launched a 6-month iBeacon trial at the Dallas Forth Worth Airport (DFW) in June 2014.
- Customers who have the American Airlines app will get notifications to help them navigate the airport better including information like distance to gates, boarding times and the closest security check lines.
- If the trial goes well, the airline plans to roll out beacons permanently across multiple airports & terminals around the world.
Nivia Uses iBeacons to Help Parents Keep Track of Their Children at the Beach
- Popular lotion brand Nivea launched their StickNFind app to help parents keep track of their children when they’re at the beach.
- Subscribers of Veja Rio magazine were sent an ad and a pop up bracelet with the magazine.
- By wrapping the water-resistant bracelet around a child’s arm and downloading a Nivea app, parents could define a safe area at the beach for the child. Once the child wanders outside the safe zone, an alarm would go off on the parents’ smartphone.
Walgreens Roll Out iBeacons in Select Duane Reade Stores
- Duane Reade, the largest drugstore chain in New York City, integrated iBeacons in 10 select locations.
- This allowed the pharmacy chain to add new features like weekly ads and coupons, pill reminders, the ability to schedule appointments, save shopping list and an option to order photo prints from Instagram.
- Customers will also receive notifications as they near a store, and get discount offers based on what they previously purchased